Important information regarding our response to COVID-19 See more
Observer Refresher Training
OBT202 Observer Refresher Training
Locations and dates
No start dates are currently available. Apply to be informed when new dates are added.
This refresher course provides skills and knowledge to follow fisheries observer protocols, basic knowledge and skills for at-sea duties, health and safety, firefighting and survival at sea.
What will students learn?
Basic knowledge and skills for at-sea duties, health and safety, firefighting and survival at sea
After participation in this course, students will have refreshed their knowledge and skills relating to:
- Work on a commercial fishing vessel
- Knowledge of fire prevention and limitation and extinguish small fires on board a vessel
- The effects of shiftwork and strategies to manage them
- Basic knife skills in the seafood industry
- Recognising sexual harassment and describing ways of responding
- Knowledge of the impact of alcohol and other drugs
- Knowledge of abandon ship procedures and sea survival techniques.
- Maintaining personal hygiene and use hygienic work practices while working with seafood
- Recognising correct construction and rigging for a pilot ladder
- Correct technique for boarding a vessel using a pilot ladder
- Strategies for de-escalating situations on board
- Correct response for trauma care
- Assessing candidate performance
- Current developments within MBIE, MPI and MNZ as they pertain to the work of observers
Learning and teaching
Learning and Teaching Approaches
- Classroom activity
- Tutor demonstrations
- Group Discussion
Learning and Teaching Resources:
- Self-paced learning materials, Maritime NZ syllabus
- Tutor and course notes
- Classrooms equipped with computer and data projector
- Text and reference books