We have everything you need here on campus, but a lot of the time you'll be out in the community sharing and developing your knowledge and making the most of regional sports facilities.
Theory is always backed up by practical experience for fitness students - either in the on-campus gym, AstroTurf court and specialist laboratories or through working with community groups.
Our on campus facilities include:
- A gym with a range of strength and conditioning and cardio equipment including bands, Swiss balls, medicine balls and weight machines. Fitness students are able to arrange after-hours access.
- Anatomy and physiology labs
- A purpose-built exercise science lab with a huge amount of specialist equipment for testing including gas analyser, treadmill, Watt bikes and force plates
- An AstroTurf court with a raised seating area with shade options - where you'll learn how to teach and instruct different sports codes and do speed and strength training techniques using a sled and parachute. The turf is also used at times to consider biomechanics and breaking down complex movements into smaller, simpler patterns as well as teaching and observing each other and/or the tutor.
You'll also be out and about making the most of the many sports facilities the region has to offer including:
- Results Gym(external link) - some programmes and classes are held here
- St Joseph's School - where regular group fitness instruction classes are held
- Local pools including Riverside Pool and the Richmond Aquatic Centre
- Saxton field athletics track
- Nelson Squash Club courts