Top of the South Trades Academy students have started for the year and are spending time in and out of the classroom.
Recently our second-year Hospitality students took a trip out with tutor Matt Reid to PYO at 185.(external link) Students were given a recipe and were sent out into the fields to get all the ingredients that they needed for their dish.
Students loved the fact that they got to go out and see where and how the produce they use was grown. Students were sent out after a quick discussion about the quality of produce and once it was picked they would have to pay for it
Anything that was not available at PYO at 185.(external link), were collected from other local suppliers on the way back to NMIT.
Sweet Corn Relish
- Dash Oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1-2 Chillies, Chopped
- ½ Red Pepper, Chopped
- ½ Green Pepper, Chopped
- 2 Cobs of Sweetcorn, Kernels Removed
- 1 Large Tomato, Seeds removed, Skinned
- 2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 3 tbsp Chopped Coriander
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and ginger until soft.
- Add the other vegetables to the pan and cook, allowing any liquid to evaporate.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the coriander. Cook for Five Minutes.
- Add the coriander and cook for another minute. Transfer to a sterilized jar and leave to cool.