COVID 19 - Student information

COVID 19 - Student information

Online study links: Moodle(external link) | Office 365(external link)

Q&A's for learners

Do I have to wear a face mask on campus?

It is recommended that you wear a face mask on campus where you cannot maintain physical distancing.  You will need to supply your own mask but if this is not possible, please let your tutor know.  You can find more information on hygiene, face masks and distancing on the Government COVID-19 website(external link) and an update from TEC on its own COVID-19 page(external link).

Do I still need to use the NZ contact tracer app?

It is recommended that you continue to use the NZ contact tracer app when on campus.  Contact tracing will help to keep students and staff safe.

How do I continue to keep myself safe?

Remember to wash your hands frequently, and use hand sanitiser.  When washing hands, wash with soap and water for 20 seconds. Please do not come to campus if you are sick, instead Contact Healthline(external link).

I have finished my studies but I can’t leave New Zealand, do I need to extend my insurance cover?

NMIT’s student insurance provider, Allianz Partners, has an Automatic Extension of Cover for our international students who are unable to travel home due to COVID-19.  To request this cover, please email so that Allianz Partners can update your record against your policy. No additional premium is payable for the Automatic Extension of Cover.  If you have already paid an additional premium, please contact for a refund.

What if I'm experiencing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 Alert Levels?

Please contact SANITI or Learner Services if you are experiencing any hardship. There are funds and help available.

Who do I contact at NMIT for more information?  

Below are some email addresses you can use to contact NMIT: 

For student wellbeing support provided by senior counselling students call 021 246 6711.

More information

New Zealand Government COVID-19 website(external link)

Ministry of Health

COVID-19 helpline

0800 358 5453

This is a dedicated COVID-19 helpline (or +64 9 358 5453 for overseas SIMs). It’s free to call, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with interpreters on hand to help with translation. 

New Zealand Ministry of Health Facebook (external link)

New Zealand Ministry of Education online

New Zealand Ministry of Education Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates(external link)

New Zealand Ministry of Education Facebook(external link)

Immigration New Zealand Contact Centre helpline

This helpline is for specific COVID-19 related immigration queries:

0508 225 288 (within NZ) or +64 9 952 1679 (outside NZ)

Tertiary Education Commission

COVID-19 updates from Tertiary Education Commission(external link)

Education New Zealand

Information and advice(external link) for international students under Alert Level 4


COVID-19 Information for students getting Student Allowance or Student Loan(external link)


COVID-19 Support page(external link) - includes Support Group and Drop In Sessions.

Nelson Tasman Civil Defence Emergency Management

If you are not eligible for support from Work and Income and you don’t have a way to access essential supplies yourself, you can contact Nelson Tasman Civil Defence Emergency Management on 0800 50 50 75 (Press 1 for Nelson City or 2 for Tasman).


Close drawer